The Institute of African Studies, Carleton University presents:
The Role of Women in Urban Food Security in the Informal Settlements of
Ndeyapo Nickanor, PhD candidate, U. of Cape Town
When: Wednesday, 21 November, 1:00 - 2:30 pm
Where: The History Lounge, 433 Paterson Hall, Carleton University, Ottawa
Abstract: More than ever before, food security and poverty have
increasingly become problems of the urban, informal settlements, for
cities in Southern Africa this situation is intensified by the continued
rapid urbanization particularly from the rural areas. This influx combined
with high levels of unemployment, high food prices, climate change issues
and extreme levels of poverty have made food insecurity in urban areas a
concern. In urban areas the poor are immersed in a cash economy through
which food is acquired. Given the over-emphasis of poverty among female
headed households, in the urban areas they are the poorest. This research
provides for an understanding of how female headed households in the poor
urban informal settlements of Windhoek source food and the coping
strategies which they employ to make a living.
Ndeyapo Nickanor is a PhD student at the University of Cape Town, South
Africa. She also teaches in the Department of Statistics and Population
Studies at the University of Namibia. She is currently at QueenÂ's
University as an exchange student through the Students for Development
Program, under the guidance of Professor Jonathan Crush, QueenÂ's
professor and Director of Southern African Research Centre (SARC).
For more information, please contact the Institute of African Studies at
613-520-2600 ext. 2220 or African_Studies@carleton.ca
*For a campus map, please see: http://www2.carleton.ca/cu/campus/
This is a blog recording the announcements that are sent out on the CASCA listserv.
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
This blog mirrors the list-serv for the Canadian Anthropology Society. To submit an announcement to this list, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ► 2016 (344)
- ► 2015 (324)
- ► 2014 (240)
- ► 2013 (348)
- The Centre for Women=?iso-8859-1?Q?=92s?= Studies ...
- Tenure-track faculty position to be based in Goose...
- Colloquium Series - Diaspora and Transnational Stu...
- 5th European Conference on African Studies, 2013
- Fellowship in Ethnographic Writing, Fall 2013 (UTS...
- Tim Harrison Talk - November 28
- Centre for Ethnography Talk with Amira Mittermaeir...
- RA Session // Moments of Suspension, Moments of Tr...
- SSEA Symposium Weekend Schedule November 30-Decemb...
- CFHSS/FDSH: Communique: November 2012
- CIHR-IPPH November e-Bulletin | e-Bulletin novembr...
- University of Saskatchewan - tenure track job
- Center for Advanced Holocaust Studies: Winter 2013...
- CFP: Edited Volume(s) on International Anthropolog...
- UN Trust Fund to EVAW/G 17th Grant Cycle
- Student Anthropologist - Call for Papers and Peer ...
- Nov. 22 Caribbean Studies Events - U of T
- Nov. 21 CDTS Talk with Dennis Rodgers
- Call for Abstracts: York U Anthropology Graduate C...
- Cascadia Seminar Dec 1 2012 CFP Deadline
- Upcoming Talk: Bruce Curtis, Carleton University
- Students for International Development is recruiti...
- APLA & NAPA Career Panels
- Travel study courses in Kenya, May 2013
- CASCA: Job postings/Offres d'emploi
- Pacific Women in Business Conference
- Upcoming Talk: Africa=?iso-8859-1?Q?=92s?= Future:...
- Global Thematic Consultation on Addressing Inequal...
- The Role of Women in Urban Food Security, Namibia
- Émergence du Leadership féminin (Empowerment de la...
- Joint colloquium on Mayor Marian Dewar
- MEDICAL ANTHROPOLOGY M.A. STUDENTS WANTED FOR Q?EQ...
- Panel Discussion/ Book Launch "Demystifying the Mo...
- The Peopling of the Americas: New Evidence, Old Co...
- Association of Professional Archaeologists (APA) A...
- INTERNATIONAL SOCIAL SCIENCE COUNCIL NEWS
- Narratives and Collective Memory Lecture - Univers...
- Forum international d'architecture vernaculaire/Ve...
- Friday November 9: Esmeralda Thornhill, "Race" Lit...
- Simone de Beauvoir Institute - Upcoming Events
- The latest issue of Culture is out/Le nouveau num=...
- REMINDER-RAPPEL: November 8, 2012 Panel du 8 nov...
- ▼ November (42)
- ► 2011 (237)
- ► 2010 (248)
- ► 2009 (194)
- ► 2008 (151)