The Cascadia Seminar: Ethnographic
Adventures in Medical Anthropology
April 12-14, 2013
at Simon Fraser
British Columbia, Canada
The Cascadia Seminar is an experiment in creating a new kind
of intellectual space for medical anthropology. The Cascadia
Seminar is a small, intimate, high-interest, low-cost weekend
conference organized collaboratively by medical
anthropologists on faculty at a number of different
universities and colleges in the US Pacific Northwest and
(the Cascadia region). Simon
Fraser University in Vancouver, British Columbia, will
host the second Cascadia Seminar. The first was in March
2011 at the University
of Washington in Seattle.
Medical anthropologists (from everywhere) are invited to
submit abstracts. Please send your abstract (350 words
maximum) by December 1, 2012 as an electronic attachment to
Abstracts will be reviewed by a committee
of medical anthropologists on faculty at our various
institutions, all of whom also plan to attend. The committee
will select seven abstracts, seeking papers that promise to be
ethnographically rich and intellectually exciting. Decisions
announced by December 31, 2012.
The Cascadia Seminar will begin the evening
of Friday April 12, 2013 with a keynote address by Margaret
Four papers will be presented on Saturday April 13, and three
on Sunday April 14, with no concurrent sessions. Each paper
presenter will have forty minutes to present a substantial,
well worked-out paper, with ample time for lively discussion.
All participants will attend all papers, and optional no-host
meals together will offer additional opportunities for
conversation. Coffee and snacks will be provided.
The conference will be free of charge,
though preregistration will be required in order to keep
numbers manageable. Some people may want to stay with family
or friends in the Vancouver area; a block of rooms will also
be available at a reduced rate at a nearby hotel. For more
information, go to www.sfu.ca/cascadia.
This is a blog recording the announcements that are sent out on the CASCA listserv.
Tuesday, November 20, 2012
This blog mirrors the list-serv for the Canadian Anthropology Society. To submit an announcement to this list, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ► 2017 (213)
- ► 2016 (356)
- ► 2015 (324)
- ► 2014 (240)
- ► 2013 (348)
- The Centre for Women=?iso-8859-1?Q?=92s?= Studies ...
- Tenure-track faculty position to be based in Goose...
- Colloquium Series - Diaspora and Transnational Stu...
- 5th European Conference on African Studies, 2013
- Fellowship in Ethnographic Writing, Fall 2013 (UTS...
- Tim Harrison Talk - November 28
- Centre for Ethnography Talk with Amira Mittermaeir...
- RA Session // Moments of Suspension, Moments of Tr...
- SSEA Symposium Weekend Schedule November 30-Decemb...
- CFHSS/FDSH: Communique: November 2012
- CIHR-IPPH November e-Bulletin | e-Bulletin novembr...
- University of Saskatchewan - tenure track job
- Center for Advanced Holocaust Studies: Winter 2013...
- CFP: Edited Volume(s) on International Anthropolog...
- UN Trust Fund to EVAW/G 17th Grant Cycle
- Student Anthropologist - Call for Papers and Peer ...
- Nov. 22 Caribbean Studies Events - U of T
- Nov. 21 CDTS Talk with Dennis Rodgers
- Call for Abstracts: York U Anthropology Graduate C...
- Cascadia Seminar Dec 1 2012 CFP Deadline
- Upcoming Talk: Bruce Curtis, Carleton University
- Students for International Development is recruiti...
- APLA & NAPA Career Panels
- Travel study courses in Kenya, May 2013
- CASCA: Job postings/Offres d'emploi
- Pacific Women in Business Conference
- Upcoming Talk: Africa=?iso-8859-1?Q?=92s?= Future:...
- Global Thematic Consultation on Addressing Inequal...
- The Role of Women in Urban Food Security, Namibia
- Émergence du Leadership féminin (Empowerment de la...
- Joint colloquium on Mayor Marian Dewar
- MEDICAL ANTHROPOLOGY M.A. STUDENTS WANTED FOR Q?EQ...
- Panel Discussion/ Book Launch "Demystifying the Mo...
- The Peopling of the Americas: New Evidence, Old Co...
- Association of Professional Archaeologists (APA) A...
- INTERNATIONAL SOCIAL SCIENCE COUNCIL NEWS
- Narratives and Collective Memory Lecture - Univers...
- Forum international d'architecture vernaculaire/Ve...
- Friday November 9: Esmeralda Thornhill, "Race" Lit...
- Simone de Beauvoir Institute - Upcoming Events
- The latest issue of Culture is out/Le nouveau num=...
- REMINDER-RAPPEL: November 8, 2012 Panel du 8 nov...
- ▼ November (42)
- ► 2011 (237)
- ► 2010 (248)
- ► 2009 (194)
- ► 2008 (151)