Apologies for Cross-Postings:
Call for Papers - Edited volume(s) on the International Anthropology of
​We are working to publish an edited volume (or even volumes) on the
anthropology of the U.S. and are looking for possible inclusions.
​For several years now, a group of anthropologists located outside
the US have come
together with US-based anthropologists to share and discuss their field work
experiences and research - their study of and in the US. In their effort to
cultivate "the development of a different kind of international
scholarship on the
United States, one that truly decenters U.S. scholarship while challenging
new formulations, new questions, and new critiques" ("Rethinking American
a Critical Internationalism," American Quarterly 1996:484), Virginia
Jane Desmond, co-founded the International Forum for US Studies (IFUSS)
has emerged the "international anthropology of the United States." For
information about IFUSS, please check the website:
​In our effort to "reconceive of the U.S., or the more metaphorical
'America,' as a
complex imaginary" ("Towards a prismatic 'American Studies'," Safundi
have gathered together research ranging from the study of the media and
migration, dance and performance, sexual identity, activism, and the
everyday life. In our work, "'America' is not a thing, a place, an idea,
political 'entity.' It is, rather, all of these and the multiple and
ways in which it is imagined, i.e., called into being, named, understood,
produced, used, and experienced by individuals, groups, and states around
​To date, those directly engaged in these conversations are
professors Helena Wulff
(Sweden), Ulf Hannerz (Sweden), Moshe Shokeid (Israel), Jasmin Habib
Keiko Ikeda (Japan). While the range of the research is wide,
attention has been focused on the study of the US by those located outside
borders. In this call for papers, we seek to fill that gap by bringing to
focus empirical as well as theoretical implications for anthropological
SUBMISSION, DEADLINE, AND CONTACT DETAILS:
​If you have conducted anthropological fieldwork in the US, and you
in contributing to a one- or two- volume publication on the international
anthropology of the US, please send us an electronic copy of your 25-30 page
double-spaced paper by February 1, 2012. All papers should be sent to
at email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> and Virginia Dominguez at
This is a blog recording the announcements that are sent out on the CASCA listserv.
Wednesday, November 21, 2012
This blog mirrors the list-serv for the Canadian Anthropology Society. To submit an announcement to this list, please email: email@example.com
- ► 2017 (213)
- ► 2016 (356)
- ► 2015 (324)
- ► 2014 (240)
- ► 2013 (348)
- The Centre for Women=?iso-8859-1?Q?=92s?= Studies ...
- Tenure-track faculty position to be based in Goose...
- Colloquium Series - Diaspora and Transnational Stu...
- 5th European Conference on African Studies, 2013
- Fellowship in Ethnographic Writing, Fall 2013 (UTS...
- Tim Harrison Talk - November 28
- Centre for Ethnography Talk with Amira Mittermaeir...
- RA Session // Moments of Suspension, Moments of Tr...
- SSEA Symposium Weekend Schedule November 30-Decemb...
- CFHSS/FDSH: Communique: November 2012
- CIHR-IPPH November e-Bulletin | e-Bulletin novembr...
- University of Saskatchewan - tenure track job
- Center for Advanced Holocaust Studies: Winter 2013...
- CFP: Edited Volume(s) on International Anthropolog...
- UN Trust Fund to EVAW/G 17th Grant Cycle
- Student Anthropologist - Call for Papers and Peer ...
- Nov. 22 Caribbean Studies Events - U of T
- Nov. 21 CDTS Talk with Dennis Rodgers
- Call for Abstracts: York U Anthropology Graduate C...
- Cascadia Seminar Dec 1 2012 CFP Deadline
- Upcoming Talk: Bruce Curtis, Carleton University
- Students for International Development is recruiti...
- APLA & NAPA Career Panels
- Travel study courses in Kenya, May 2013
- CASCA: Job postings/Offres d'emploi
- Pacific Women in Business Conference
- Upcoming Talk: Africa=?iso-8859-1?Q?=92s?= Future:...
- Global Thematic Consultation on Addressing Inequal...
- The Role of Women in Urban Food Security, Namibia
- Émergence du Leadership féminin (Empowerment de la...
- Joint colloquium on Mayor Marian Dewar
- MEDICAL ANTHROPOLOGY M.A. STUDENTS WANTED FOR Q?EQ...
- Panel Discussion/ Book Launch "Demystifying the Mo...
- The Peopling of the Americas: New Evidence, Old Co...
- Association of Professional Archaeologists (APA) A...
- INTERNATIONAL SOCIAL SCIENCE COUNCIL NEWS
- Narratives and Collective Memory Lecture - Univers...
- Forum international d'architecture vernaculaire/Ve...
- Friday November 9: Esmeralda Thornhill, "Race" Lit...
- Simone de Beauvoir Institute - Upcoming Events
- The latest issue of Culture is out/Le nouveau num=...
- REMINDER-RAPPEL: November 8, 2012 Panel du 8 nov...
- ▼ November (42)
- ► 2011 (237)
- ► 2010 (248)
- ► 2009 (194)
- ► 2008 (151)