Nov. 28 Centre for Ethnography Talk with Amira Mittermaeir
The Centre for Ethnography (Department of Anthropology, UTSC) will be
holding its final talk for this semester, on Wednesday, 28 November,
1-3pm, at MW 296.
Prof Amira Mittermaeir (University of Toronto)
"Islamic Charity in Egypt: On Ethics and Its Limits"
Prof. Mittermaier is the author of the award-winning book "Dreams that
Matter: Egyptian Landscapes of the Imagination" (2011, University of
We look forward to seeing you there!
Abstract: Drawing on fieldwork at one of Cairo's largest charity
organizations, this paper offers a critical engagement with the anthropology
of ethics and morality. Over the past ten years, and even more so since the
uprising in January 2011, thousands of young Egyptians have become involved
in charitable activities. In this paper I reflect on the volunteers' own
understandings of their charitable work. Whereas some describe charitable
giving as inherently ethical (as responding to need and suffering), others
insist that their actions are not for "the poor" but for God. Their goal is
not being ethical but following God's commands. By cultivating a radical
orientedness toward God, they explicitly reject the language of
'amalal-khayr, the "doing of good deeds," and offer a critique of "empathy"
and "compassion." I suggest that this "anti-ethical" stand invites not only
an expansion but also a critical rethinking of the ethical turn in
This is a blog recording the announcements that are sent out on the CASCA listserv.
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
This blog mirrors the list-serv for the Canadian Anthropology Society. To submit an announcement to this list, please email: email@example.com
- ► 2017 (164)
- ► 2016 (356)
- ► 2015 (324)
- ► 2014 (240)
- ► 2013 (348)
- The Centre for Women=?iso-8859-1?Q?=92s?= Studies ...
- Tenure-track faculty position to be based in Goose...
- Colloquium Series - Diaspora and Transnational Stu...
- 5th European Conference on African Studies, 2013
- Fellowship in Ethnographic Writing, Fall 2013 (UTS...
- Tim Harrison Talk - November 28
- Centre for Ethnography Talk with Amira Mittermaeir...
- RA Session // Moments of Suspension, Moments of Tr...
- SSEA Symposium Weekend Schedule November 30-Decemb...
- CFHSS/FDSH: Communique: November 2012
- CIHR-IPPH November e-Bulletin | e-Bulletin novembr...
- University of Saskatchewan - tenure track job
- Center for Advanced Holocaust Studies: Winter 2013...
- CFP: Edited Volume(s) on International Anthropolog...
- UN Trust Fund to EVAW/G 17th Grant Cycle
- Student Anthropologist - Call for Papers and Peer ...
- Nov. 22 Caribbean Studies Events - U of T
- Nov. 21 CDTS Talk with Dennis Rodgers
- Call for Abstracts: York U Anthropology Graduate C...
- Cascadia Seminar Dec 1 2012 CFP Deadline
- Upcoming Talk: Bruce Curtis, Carleton University
- Students for International Development is recruiti...
- APLA & NAPA Career Panels
- Travel study courses in Kenya, May 2013
- CASCA: Job postings/Offres d'emploi
- Pacific Women in Business Conference
- Upcoming Talk: Africa=?iso-8859-1?Q?=92s?= Future:...
- Global Thematic Consultation on Addressing Inequal...
- The Role of Women in Urban Food Security, Namibia
- Émergence du Leadership féminin (Empowerment de la...
- Joint colloquium on Mayor Marian Dewar
- MEDICAL ANTHROPOLOGY M.A. STUDENTS WANTED FOR Q?EQ...
- Panel Discussion/ Book Launch "Demystifying the Mo...
- The Peopling of the Americas: New Evidence, Old Co...
- Association of Professional Archaeologists (APA) A...
- INTERNATIONAL SOCIAL SCIENCE COUNCIL NEWS
- Narratives and Collective Memory Lecture - Univers...
- Forum international d'architecture vernaculaire/Ve...
- Friday November 9: Esmeralda Thornhill, "Race" Lit...
- Simone de Beauvoir Institute - Upcoming Events
- The latest issue of Culture is out/Le nouveau num=...
- REMINDER-RAPPEL: November 8, 2012 Panel du 8 nov...
- ▼ November (42)
- ► 2011 (237)
- ► 2010 (248)
- ► 2009 (194)
- ► 2008 (151)