The Centre for Diaspora and Transnational Studies at the University of
Toronto cordially invites you to our research methods colloquium series,
Methods Café. This week's seminar features a discussion of a recently
published book by Prof. Andrea Muehlebach "The Moral Neoliberal: Welfare and
Citizenship in Italy" (2012, The University of Chicago Press).
Discussant comments to be provided by Prof. Tania Li.
The seminar will take place at JHB100A (ground floor) at the Jackman
Humanities Building, 170 St. George.
Andrea Muehlebach and Tania Li
Department of Anthropology, University of Toronto
Discussing "The Moral Neoliberal: Welfare and Citizenship in Italy"
Friday, November 30th
2:00 - 4:00 pm
Abstract for the book:
Set within the shifting landscape of neoliberal welfare reform in the
Lombardy region of Italy and visiting sites from Milanese high schools to
he offices of of social workers to the homes of the poor, "The Moral
Neoliberal" examines the phenomenal rise of voluntarism during Italy's
current withdrawal of social service programs. Mounting a powerful and
paradoxical argument that morality in Italy has become an indispensable
tool for capitalist transformation, Muehlebach explores the state's mass
mobilization of selflessness as a means to cement - and to sometimes also
unintentionally undermine - some of its most controversial reforms.
This is a blog recording the announcements that are sent out on the CASCA listserv.
Wednesday, November 28, 2012
This blog mirrors the list-serv for the Canadian Anthropology Society. To submit an announcement to this list, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ► 2016 (356)
- ► 2015 (324)
- ► 2014 (240)
- ► 2013 (348)
- The Centre for Women=?iso-8859-1?Q?=92s?= Studies ...
- Tenure-track faculty position to be based in Goose...
- Colloquium Series - Diaspora and Transnational Stu...
- 5th European Conference on African Studies, 2013
- Fellowship in Ethnographic Writing, Fall 2013 (UTS...
- Tim Harrison Talk - November 28
- Centre for Ethnography Talk with Amira Mittermaeir...
- RA Session // Moments of Suspension, Moments of Tr...
- SSEA Symposium Weekend Schedule November 30-Decemb...
- CFHSS/FDSH: Communique: November 2012
- CIHR-IPPH November e-Bulletin | e-Bulletin novembr...
- University of Saskatchewan - tenure track job
- Center for Advanced Holocaust Studies: Winter 2013...
- CFP: Edited Volume(s) on International Anthropolog...
- UN Trust Fund to EVAW/G 17th Grant Cycle
- Student Anthropologist - Call for Papers and Peer ...
- Nov. 22 Caribbean Studies Events - U of T
- Nov. 21 CDTS Talk with Dennis Rodgers
- Call for Abstracts: York U Anthropology Graduate C...
- Cascadia Seminar Dec 1 2012 CFP Deadline
- Upcoming Talk: Bruce Curtis, Carleton University
- Students for International Development is recruiti...
- APLA & NAPA Career Panels
- Travel study courses in Kenya, May 2013
- CASCA: Job postings/Offres d'emploi
- Pacific Women in Business Conference
- Upcoming Talk: Africa=?iso-8859-1?Q?=92s?= Future:...
- Global Thematic Consultation on Addressing Inequal...
- The Role of Women in Urban Food Security, Namibia
- Émergence du Leadership féminin (Empowerment de la...
- Joint colloquium on Mayor Marian Dewar
- MEDICAL ANTHROPOLOGY M.A. STUDENTS WANTED FOR Q?EQ...
- Panel Discussion/ Book Launch "Demystifying the Mo...
- The Peopling of the Americas: New Evidence, Old Co...
- Association of Professional Archaeologists (APA) A...
- INTERNATIONAL SOCIAL SCIENCE COUNCIL NEWS
- Narratives and Collective Memory Lecture - Univers...
- Forum international d'architecture vernaculaire/Ve...
- Friday November 9: Esmeralda Thornhill, "Race" Lit...
- Simone de Beauvoir Institute - Upcoming Events
- The latest issue of Culture is out/Le nouveau num=...
- REMINDER-RAPPEL: November 8, 2012 Panel du 8 nov...
- ▼ November (42)
- ► 2011 (237)
- ► 2010 (248)
- ► 2009 (194)
- ► 2008 (151)