The Landscape of Affordances & the Potential of Vacancy
230 College Street, PCL room
Time: Apr 22nd, 10:00 am End: Apr 22nd, 12:00 pm
Interest Categories: Visual Studies (UTM), Urban, Sociology, Philosophy
Philosophy (UTM), Philosophy, History and Philosophy of Science &
Environment, Communication and Culture (UTM), Cities and Humanities, Arts,
and Media (UTSC), Art, Architecture, Landscape, Design, 2000-
Lecture by Eric Rietveld, University of Amsterdam
The JHI Working Group on NeuroPhenomenology and Architecture is pleased to
Eric Rietveld, University of Amsterdam
The Landscape of Affordances and the Potential of Vacancy
Comments by Zeynep Çelik Alexander, Daniels Faculty of Architecture,
Dr. Erik Rietveld is a Senior Researcher at the University of Amsterdam
(AMC/Department of Philosophy/ILLC/Brain & Cognition) and a Founding
Rietveld Landscape (www.rietveldlandscape.nl). Rietveld Landscape is a
research studio operating at the crossroads of architecture, science and art.
Erik Rietveld was a Fellow in Philosophy at Harvard University and a Visiting
Scholar at UC Berkeley's Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute. His
interdisciplinary research on 'Unreflective Action' was awarded by the
Science Foundation (2009), the University of Amsterdam (2009), AMC, Amsterdam
Medical Center (2011), and twice by NWO, Netherlands Organisation for
Research (Rubicon 2008, VENI 2009).
With his brother Ronald Rietveld, he was curator of the Dutch contribution
NL' to the Venice Architecture Biennale 2010, author of the Dutch Atlas of
and founder/director of the architectural design research master 'Vacant
NL' at the
Sandberg Institute/Gerrit Rietveld Academy. Vacant NL was awarded with a
Design Award and the Rotterdam Design Prize. They have shown work at
exhibitions in Sao Paulo, Oslo, Mumbai, Moscow, and Museum Boijmans Van
Rotterdam. In September 2013 they will present a new installation at the
Erik Rietveld publishes regularly in renowned international journals such
Inquiry, Phenomenology & The Cognitive Sciences, Frontiers, andBehavioral
The Landscape of Affordances & Potential of Vacancy
In the first part of his talk, Dr. Rietveld will present an account of
or possibilities for action offered by the environment. We understand
relations between aspects of the environment and abilities available in a
life, which includes socio-cultural practices in our human case. Thanks to
variety of both environment and abilities, the landscape of affordances in
is very rich and resourceful. In the second part of his talk, Dr. Rietveld
illustrate how Rietveld Landscape translated this philosophical
perspective into an
installation for the Venice Architecture Biennale 2010, which showed the
potential of 10,000 vacant public and governmentally owned buildings from
17th, 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st centuries.
Rietveld, "Bodily intentionality and social affordances in context"
Rietveld, Landscape curatorial statement for Vacant NL
Chemero, "An Outline of a Theory of Affordances"
This event is free and open to the public, but registration is requested.
For further information, please contact the organizer, Dr. Matthew Allen,
or the John H. Daniels Faculty of Landscape, Architecture and Design at
This is a blog recording the announcements that are sent out on the CASCA listserv.
Thursday, April 11, 2013
This blog mirrors the list-serv for the Canadian Anthropology Society. To submit an announcement to this list, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ► 2016 (356)
- ► 2015 (324)
- ► 2014 (240)
- Workshop - Engaging Indigenous communities in Clim...
- Conference: Urban Metamorphoses: Landscapes of Pow...
- CFP - Peace and Conflict Studies in Anthropology
- 2 Student Prize Announcements
- CIHR-IPPH April e-Bulletin | e-Bulletin avril IRSC...
- EASA newsletter 59
- Conference 2013 - Canadian Association of African ...
- Conference in Cuba, November 2013
- CFP: Settler-Colonial Spaces: Thinking Across Indi...
- CASCA: Job postings/Offres d'emploi
- Reminder: Nomination to the Holberg International ...
- Toronto, May 10-11, American Academy of Religion (...
- Pre-Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship Award in Amer...
- Call for papers - Mining, Materiality and Cultural...
- Tim Ingold - Monday, April 15, Upcoming Public Lec...
- CLAGS Spring 2013 Seminar in the City: Queer(ing) ...
- Simone de Beauvoir Institute in Montreal Celebrate...
- INTERNATIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL: CULTURES, MIGRATIONS...
- AAA 2013 CFPs
- Upcoming Talk: Architecture and Landscape
- AAA 2013 CFPs
- Lincoln M. Alexander Award 2013
- Summer Field Schools
- CFHSS/CFSH: Communiqu=?iso-8859-1?Q?=E9:?= April 2...
- AAA 2013 CFP
- AAA CFP: Globalized energy futures?
- AAA 2013 CFPs
- The Centre for Imaginative Ethnography (CIE) - eve...
- CFP - AAA Panel "Boundary Work: Scripting Property...
- CAUDP Annual Conference, April 17-18, 2013
- AAA CFP: Finding a Voice Latin American Indigeno...
- ▼ April (33)
- ► 2012 (301)
- ► 2011 (237)
- ► 2010 (248)
- ► 2009 (194)
- ► 2008 (151)