Subject: Call for papers - Mining, Materiality and Cultural Heritage
Reply-To: Kirsty Gillespie <k.gillespie@UQ.EDU.AU>
Mining, Materiality and Cultural Heritage: A one-day symposium at The
University of Queensland
Friday 17th May 2013
Seminar Room, Level 4
Sir James Foots Building 47A, St Lucia campus
CALL FOR PAPERS
The exhibition 'Musical Landscapes of Lihir', currently showing at the
University of Queensland's Anthropology Museum, addresses the relationship
of mining and cultural heritage. In Lihir, New Ireland Province, Papua New
Guinea, gold mining has impacted on the local and regional economy
enabling, amongst other things, increased access to consumer goods and a
correspondingly increased level of kastom, feasting that pays for
performance and ancestral maintenance.
In conjunction with this exhibition a one-day symposium will be held at the
University of Queensland to explore scholarly approaches to the
intersection between resource industries, materiality and cultural life.
The symposium aims to connect with the growing concern, amongst people who
experience resource industry activity in the place where they live, to
strike a balance between an engagement with economic growth and
development, and the maintenance of cultural identity. We seek papers that
address particularly the relationship of material or immaterial
(intangible) cultural heritage. Case studies from anywhere in the world are
Papers might explore or extend the following interlinked themes in the
context of the minerals industry:
- The relationship between the commodification of a landscape and the
transformation in patterns of consumption that mining and mining revenue
may bring about.
- Changes in ideas about temporality where mining occurs. For example
there may be a new anxiety about how to get into the future among people
who have mines on their land.
- The intersection of native title law and cultural heritage management.
- Cultural heritage and community consultation.
Proposals should be emailed to the convenors by Monday 22nd April. Please
include presenter name, affiliation, title of paper/presentation, an
abstract of 150 words, and any special requirements for your presentation.
Papers should be delivered in 20mins and will be followed by
Registration for the symposium is free.
Dr Kirsty Gillespie - email@example.com
Professor Ian Lilley - firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Andrew Sneddon - email@example.com
Dr Diana Young - firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a blog recording the announcements that are sent out on the CASCA listserv.
Tuesday, April 16, 2013
This blog mirrors the list-serv for the Canadian Anthropology Society. To submit an announcement to this list, please email: email@example.com
- ► 2016 (356)
- ► 2015 (324)
- ► 2014 (240)
- Workshop - Engaging Indigenous communities in Clim...
- Conference: Urban Metamorphoses: Landscapes of Pow...
- CFP - Peace and Conflict Studies in Anthropology
- 2 Student Prize Announcements
- CIHR-IPPH April e-Bulletin | e-Bulletin avril IRSC...
- EASA newsletter 59
- Conference 2013 - Canadian Association of African ...
- Conference in Cuba, November 2013
- CFP: Settler-Colonial Spaces: Thinking Across Indi...
- CASCA: Job postings/Offres d'emploi
- Reminder: Nomination to the Holberg International ...
- Toronto, May 10-11, American Academy of Religion (...
- Pre-Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship Award in Amer...
- Call for papers - Mining, Materiality and Cultural...
- Tim Ingold - Monday, April 15, Upcoming Public Lec...
- CLAGS Spring 2013 Seminar in the City: Queer(ing) ...
- Simone de Beauvoir Institute in Montreal Celebrate...
- INTERNATIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL: CULTURES, MIGRATIONS...
- AAA 2013 CFPs
- Upcoming Talk: Architecture and Landscape
- AAA 2013 CFPs
- Lincoln M. Alexander Award 2013
- Summer Field Schools
- CFHSS/CFSH: Communiqu=?iso-8859-1?Q?=E9:?= April 2...
- AAA 2013 CFP
- AAA CFP: Globalized energy futures?
- AAA 2013 CFPs
- The Centre for Imaginative Ethnography (CIE) - eve...
- CFP - AAA Panel "Boundary Work: Scripting Property...
- CAUDP Annual Conference, April 17-18, 2013
- AAA CFP: Finding a Voice Latin American Indigeno...
- ▼ April (33)
- ► 2012 (301)
- ► 2011 (237)
- ► 2010 (248)
- ► 2009 (194)
- ► 2008 (151)