4th bi-annual PACSA Conference, Copenhagen 2013 "Crisis and Conflict"
Call for Papers
Copenhagen, Denmark 28-30 August 2013
organized in collaboration with DIGNITY – Danish Institute against Torture
and Global Refugee Studies, Aalborg University
For more information, see:
News on different 'crises' dominate our media; we have the ongoing crisis
in the Middle East and the crisis at the Horn of Africa, not to mention
the global financial crises, and the ecological crises linked to climate
change and devastating natural disasters affecting populations around the
world. How do we conceptualize and understand these different forms of
crisis, and how can a focus on these diverse crises enhance our
anthropological understanding of peace and conflict?
For this PACSA meeting we encourage reflections on what it means to live
in a state of crisis. How may we understand crises? Is it a motor of
change? A catalyst for socio-cultural transformation, or is it merely a
gesture intended to frame the abnormal? How do these discussions then
affect our conceptualizations of peace and conflict, particularly in
situations where crisis is permanent or even normalized?
And finally, what happens when individual perspectives meet systemic views
of peace, crisis, and conflict?
Whichever way we chose to understand crisis, it is clear that it is located
somewhere beyond the homoeostasis of peace, yet prior to the ultimate
turmoil characteristic of conflict. Which are therefore the links between
crisis on one hand, and the prospects for peace as well as the threats of
conflict on the other?
How are these zones delineated towards one another?
For this upcoming PACSA meeting we ask participants to submit abstracts
that explore relations and interconnections between crises on the one hand
and the concepts of conflict, violence and peace on the other. Please
submit an individual abstract or an abstract that fits in with one of the
following proposed panels (max. 300 words) before April 30th 2013 to
Format: the name of document (as separate attachment) should include your
Please clearly state if your submission should be considered for a
specific panel and state which one.
On June 1st the organizing committee will announce the final schedule with
accepted papers, all submitters will be contacted. The deadline for full
papers will be August 1st.
Registration fee will be 125 Euro (including conference dinner). For
students and others with little funding, we hope to be able to offer
This is a blog recording the announcements that are sent out on the CASCA listserv.
Monday, April 29, 2013
This blog mirrors the list-serv for the Canadian Anthropology Society. To submit an announcement to this list, please email: email@example.com
- ► 2017 (213)
- ► 2016 (356)
- ► 2015 (324)
- ► 2014 (240)
- Workshop - Engaging Indigenous communities in Clim...
- Conference: Urban Metamorphoses: Landscapes of Pow...
- CFP - Peace and Conflict Studies in Anthropology
- 2 Student Prize Announcements
- CIHR-IPPH April e-Bulletin | e-Bulletin avril IRSC...
- EASA newsletter 59
- Conference 2013 - Canadian Association of African ...
- Conference in Cuba, November 2013
- CFP: Settler-Colonial Spaces: Thinking Across Indi...
- CASCA: Job postings/Offres d'emploi
- Reminder: Nomination to the Holberg International ...
- Toronto, May 10-11, American Academy of Religion (...
- Pre-Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship Award in Amer...
- Call for papers - Mining, Materiality and Cultural...
- Tim Ingold - Monday, April 15, Upcoming Public Lec...
- CLAGS Spring 2013 Seminar in the City: Queer(ing) ...
- Simone de Beauvoir Institute in Montreal Celebrate...
- INTERNATIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL: CULTURES, MIGRATIONS...
- AAA 2013 CFPs
- Upcoming Talk: Architecture and Landscape
- AAA 2013 CFPs
- Lincoln M. Alexander Award 2013
- Summer Field Schools
- CFHSS/CFSH: Communiqu=?iso-8859-1?Q?=E9:?= April 2...
- AAA 2013 CFP
- AAA CFP: Globalized energy futures?
- AAA 2013 CFPs
- The Centre for Imaginative Ethnography (CIE) - eve...
- CFP - AAA Panel "Boundary Work: Scripting Property...
- CAUDP Annual Conference, April 17-18, 2013
- AAA CFP: Finding a Voice Latin American Indigeno...
- ▼ April (33)
- ► 2012 (301)
- ► 2011 (237)
- ► 2010 (248)
- ► 2009 (194)
- ► 2008 (151)