Pour la version française de cette annonce, veuillez lire
Call for Abstracts
35th Anniversary conference
*Rethinking Race and Sexuality: Feminist Conversations, Contestations, and
Simone de Beauvoir Institute
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
April 17th-19th, 2013
(abstract submission deadline 15 October 2012)
This three-day international conference brings together scholars,
activists, artists, and
students from a broad range of disciplines and fields to discuss the
complex ways in which
race and sexuality shape one another. The conference seeks to encourage
between feminists who work on issues of race and those who work on issues
Specifically we ask: How does race structure sexualities? How are
How do the forces of global neoliberalism effect conceptions and
configurations of race
and sexuality? What methods, approaches and theories are most useful for
To contemplate these concerns, we invite submissions in French or English
for papers or
visual presentations (performances, videos or other artworks) that
address—but are not
limited to—the following broad themes related to race and/or sexualities:
-Embodiment, health, biopolitics
-States, citizenship and trans/nationalisms
-Colonialisms and imperialisms
Dr. Gayatri Gopinath (New York University)
Author of Impossible Desires: Queer Diasporas and South Asian Public
Dr. Anne McClintock (University of Wisconsin-Madison)
Author of Imperial Leather: Race, Gender and Sexuality in the Colonial
Françoise David (Montreal)
Prominent feminist activist, initiator of the World March of Women, and
author of De colère et d'espoir
Over the past four decades, feminists have been challenging each other to
consider the complex
relationships between race and sexuality, alongside questions such as those
of capital, gender,
embodiment, nationalisms, and imperialisms. As a result, significant
paradigmatic shifts away
from ahistorical, universal, and/or "single-issue" feminist thinking have
these important strides, however, conceptual, material, and practical
The Simone de Beauvoir Institute (SdBI) is a vibrant community of
and activists committed to critical examination on feminisms, power
relations and social
justice. The conference on "Rethinking Race and Sexuality: Feminist
Conversations, Contestations, and
Coalitions" marks the 35th anniversary of the SdBI and offers opportunities
and forward-looking thinking on these political and theoretical challenges.
We invite you to
join us in this celebration!
For more information, see the full call for papers at
This is a blog recording the announcements that are sent out on the CASCA listserv.
Sunday, September 23, 2012
This blog mirrors the list-serv for the Canadian Anthropology Society. To submit an announcement to this list, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ► 2017 (128)
- ► 2016 (356)
- ► 2015 (324)
- ► 2014 (240)
- ► 2013 (348)
- Social Justice & Democratization Space - New from ...
- CASCA: Job postings/Offres d'emploi
- CIHR-IPPH September e-Bulletin | e-Bulletin septem...
- Panel Discussion on Feminist Activism, October 5, ...
- Announcing the New Geographic Perspectives on Wome...
- Public Lecture in Toronto - Erika Lee: Immigration...
- CFP: Rethinking Race and Sexuality: Feminist Conve...
- Oct 12-13 Conference: "Civil Liberties: People, Po...
- CFP SfAA 2013: Gender-Based Violence, Advocacy, an...
- SCA Student-Faculty Workshop Announcement
- Call for Abstracts: Feminism, Science & Materialis...
- SEMINAR: From Rhetoric to Practice: Implementing t...
- MacKay Lecture Series 2012 - Reconciliation: The R...
- CASCA: Job postings/Offres d'emploi
- CFHSS/FCSH: Communique: September 2012
- IPPH Announcement Sept 12, 2012
- POSITION AVAILABLE - Cultural Anthropology
- AAG 2013 CFP: Queer(ing) Geographies
- New mobilities research post at LANCASTER
- Documentary Screening and Panel Discussion | Visio...
- Opportunity for Postdoctoral Fellowship 2013-2014
- ANU Conference
- Tourism and Heritage International Conference, Tai...
- 7 ph.d. scholarships in Migration, Urbanization an...
- ▼ September (24)
- ► 2011 (237)
- ► 2010 (248)
- ► 2009 (194)
- ► 2008 (151)