I am deeply saddened to let you know that George Stocking died peacefully
at home just after midnight on Saturday, July 13, 2013. He had been very
ill since late Spring.
Carol Stocking is at 5550 S. Dorchester #1109, Chicago, IL 60637
A few highlights of his wonderful career
Born December 8, 1928
BA 1949 Harvard
PhD 1960 University of Pennsylvania (American Civilization)
Dissertation: "American Social Scientists and Race Theory: 1890-1915"
1960-68 Department of History, University of California at
Berkeley (Instructor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor)
1968-- University of Chicago, Departments of History and
Associate Professor 1968-74
also joined the Committee on Conceptual Foundations of
1974-- Stein-Freiler Distinguished Professor,
1990-2000 Emeritus, 2000-2013
Awards and Honors
1976-77 NEH Fellow at the Center for Advanced Study in the
Behavioral Sciences, Stanford
1984-85 John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Fellow
1988-89 Getty Scholar, Getty Center for the History oft and the
1992-93 Member, School of Social Science, Institute for
Advanced Study, Princeton
1993 Huxley Lecturer and Medalist, Royal Anthropological
1994 Quantrell Award for Excellence in Undergraduate
1998 Franz Boas Award for Exemplary Service to
2011 Normal MacLean Faculty Award (UC Alumni Association)
Honored by major symposia at the University of Chicago (1995) and the
National Meeting of the American Anthropological Association (1997) and
"Stocking Symposium in the History of Anthropology in Anthropological
Practice" held annually at the national meeting of the American
1968 Race, Culture and Evolution: Essays in the History of
1987 Victorian Anthropology
1992 The Ethnographer's Magic and Other Essays in the History of
1995 After Tylor: British Social Anthropology, 1888-1951
2001 Delimiting Anthropology: Occasional Inquiries and Reflections 2010
Glimpses into My Own Black Box: An Exercise in
1973-2003 Founder and Editor of the History of Anthropology of
Editor of at least 8 volumes in the History of Anthropology series from
the University of Wisconsin Press
Most recently he had been working on Clyde Kluckhohn
Anne M. Ch'ien
Administrator, Graduate Program
Department of Anthropology
University of Chicago
1126 East 59th Street
Chicago, IL 60637
This is a blog recording the announcements that are sent out on the CASCA listserv.
This blog mirrors the list-serv for the Canadian Anthropology Society. To submit an announcement to this list, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ► 2016 (356)
- ► 2015 (324)
- ► 2014 (240)
- CFP: ACLA 2014 (NYU, March 20-23) Seminar Proposal...
- George W. Stocking
- appel à contributions/call for papers--numéro spéc...
- Final reminder Money and Moralities Panel AAS 2013...
- CFP - The 'Inclusive Museum' - AAS panel, ANU Nove...
- CIHR-IPPH Funding Opportunities - Summer 2013 | Po...
- CASCA: Job postings/Offres d'emploi
- Zora Neale Hurston 2013 Travel Award
- [Socie SIS] bando borse di studio per la scuola es...
- Diagnosis, Knowledge, Culture Conference, Septembe...
- CFP: Contemporaneity: Historical Presence in Visu...
- CfP: Ada, Issue 4, Queer, Feminist Digital Media P...
- Anthropologica: recherche de candidats - poste de ...
- Call for PhD-applications: Maastricht University, ...
- Aboriginal Policy Studies - call for papers
- IX Pacific Arts Association symposium, August 6-9 ...
- Conference: National Drug Research Institute: Comp...
- Symposium - Creating Canada: From the Royal Procl...
- LGF Recruiting Policy & Research Co-ordinator
- INFO: IUCN Gender Expert Network on Environment, C...
- ▼ July (20)
- ► 2012 (301)
- ► 2011 (237)
- ► 2010 (248)
- ► 2009 (194)
- ► 2008 (151)